Cleaning an air fryer machine is not that much tough if you follow the right way. But when it comes to cleaning baked on grease from the air fryer basket, it can be a bit tough if you don’t FOLLOW the appropriate method.
This is why, in today’s post, I am going to share a Step-By-Step guide on how to clean baked on grease from air fryer basket.
Keep in mind that if you don’t remove baked on grease from air fryer basket properly, the end result can cause a bad smell in your air fryer machine. And, there is a higher chance that such a bad smell may transfer to your food which you don’t want to experience at all.
So, I would request you to put your entire concentration while studying this discussion on cleaning grease off air fryer baskets following the right way.
Why Does Grease Happen On Air Fryer Basket?
Grease happens on air fryer machines because of many reasons: natural oil created by the services inside your oven. The washed grease from meats, pan drippings, and other oils formed onto foods during their preparation or at room temperature.
I have been using my air fryer machine for a long time now, and I have seen many instances of baked on grease which I would define as the food that got cooked inside, but it stuck on the surface of the air fryer.
The main reason is most likely contaminated with food stains, dried blood grease, or even plant matter that remained after you prepare roasted meat – beans and potatoes, etc… Just imagine how much this can form in your air fryer machine.
And, to make things worst situation, food particles can not only cling onto the surface of the air fryer basket but also shape it which will result in baked-on grease inside this part as well.
You cannot completely remove the grease from air fryer basket by shaking. You need to clean it every time you use your fryer machine.
So, it is advised that you clean the grease from your air fryer basket regularly, whether you have a metal or plastic air fryer machine.
Why Is It Important To Clean Grease Off Air Fryer Basket?
Well, too many reasons are there why it is IMPORTANT to clean baked on grease off an air fryer basket. It is necessary to clean the air fryer basket regularly because it serves as a filter for oil and grease.
Besides that, greasy material also lets bacteria be trapped into the basket which can mean poor quality and spoilt foods.
When greasy particles get into your fryer machine, it traps food particles and may block airflow making the device harder for your foods or even shorten its lifecycle.
If it is not cleaned regularly, it will become clogged with grease and grease particles and it won’t function efficiently.
In addition, the grease particles in the air fryer basket may also be harmful to your health because they can create bacteria on the air fryer basket surface.
Another reason is this:
Air fryers are the best kitchen equipment for people who love to cook healthy and delicious foods like fried chicken, Potato fries, Corned beef brisket, Breaded Shrimp, Hamburger Patty, Mozzarella Sticks etc.
So, if there is any kind of greasy substance on the air fryer basket, it will interfere with the food quality and will not taste good.
Signs Your Air Fryer Machine Needs Cleaning
Now that you have come to know about the importance of cleaning grease off an air fryer, it is also ESSENTIAL for you to have a clear understanding of the signs when your fryer machine needs to get cleaned.
Based on my personal experience with using an air fryer, I have found the following signs that clearly indicate to clean an air fryer device:
- If you see a white build-up on the air fryer basket that looks like cheese, sugar, or bread crumbs.
- The time you notice some baked-on grease on your food items after using an air frying device that needs to be removed meticulously.
- If your air fryer is catching fire, smoking, or food wastes are released inside your house because of grease and fire.
- If you notice that your fried foods could not be removed from an air frying device (as in you have tried to pull out a piece while they were still hot), this should definitely get cleaned if possible!!
- If the white build-up looks like bread crumbs rather than cheese or sugar as mentioned above, you will have to clean daily as like most metallic material it absorbs air and needs frequent cleaning.
- If there is a buildup of fried foods around your basket, this indicates that food wastes are trapped in the fryer device.
- When there is a layer of grease or oil on the surface of the food that has been cooked.
- The time you notice that there is a puddle of oil on the surface of the food after it has been cooked.
- When the food has not been cooked properly is not evenly browned or not even steaming hot.
How To Clean An Air Fryer?
Before I tell you about how to clean baked on grease from air fryer basket, it is ESSENTIAL for you to get a full understanding of how to clean an air fryer machine.
In this case, keep in mind that if you follow the right technique, cleaning your dirt, grease, or smell off your air fryer won’t be a tough job at all. You can check out my detailed guideline on how to remove plastic like smell from your air fryer machine.
Anyway, let’s get this discussion started on how to clean an air fryer machine:
What You’ll Need
- Hot water.
- Microfiber cloth.
- Soft-bristled brush.
- Silicone pad.
- Bicarbonate soda.
Method To Follow
First of all, you have to unplug the air fryer machine from the power outlet of your kitchen. And, then, you have to remove the fryer basket and frying tray from your fryer machine.
If your air fryer machine is cold enough after its usage, you can use a paper towel to remove any sort of loose grease from the fryer machine. This step seriously helps me to make a thorough clean of my air fryer machine without much hassle.
At this point, you can use a clean damp cloth for removing any kind of grease you’ll find in your air fryer machine. In this case, I normally use a sponge and hot water. So, I would like to suggest you to follow the same.
For cleaning the heating element of your air fryer, you can use the sponge too. However, using any kind of abrasive material is not recommended at all.
If you find any kind of food left and stuck to the frying tray, you can use the sponge and bicarbonate soda and then start rubbing on that particular place of the tray. Doing so will form a paste that will help you in removing the baked-on grease from air fryer basket when you use a good quality bristle brush following the described way.
If the air fryer basket has not been cleaned properly, then you can place the fryer basket in a hot water sink. Now, wait for around 15-20 minutes (sometimes even more!) so the baked on grease and stuck food could easily come off.
Now, it is time to dry out all the components of your air fryer machine and then you can re-assemble the fryer machine for using purpose.
Here I have described a short discussion on cleaning off grease along with other harmful elements from a fryer machine. For an in-depth idea, you can check out this detailed and comprehensive discussion on how to clean an air fryer device.
How To Clean Baked On Grease From Air Fryer Basket?
Now, it is time to let you know about how to clean baked on grease from air fryer basket.
Well based on my research, I have found out that many people FOLLOW their own ways for cleaning baked on grease from an air fryer basket.
However, I FOLLOW the one that I have found the most HELPFUL and EFFECTIVE one – called the Vinegar and Hot Water method.
Methods to Follow
Method 1 – Removal of Baked on Grease From Air Fryer Basket
First, you have to make a paste out of Vinegar and Hot Water. And, then you can submerge your air fryer basket in the paste so the greasy substance can get soaked and submerged properly in the paste.
This is truly one of the most EFFECTIVE methods when it comes to cleaning grease off your air fryer basket.
Method 2 – How to Clean Greasy Air Fryer Basket
Another method of cleaning a greasy air fryer basket that I have come to know about is a bit uncommon in nature.
I have heard some kitcheners have used power washers for cleaning grease off air fryer baskets and pans.
The POWER produced by a pressure washer can break down the greasy substances from your air fryer basket and pan quite EFFICIENTLY.
Other Methods – How To Clean Grease From Air Fryer Basket
In addition to the above-mentioned methods, there are also several other methods you can try out for cleaning off greasy material from your air fryer basket.
These methods may include BBQ cleaners or degreasers.
Besides, you will find good quality oven cleaner in the market that comes with a chemical solution. If you have an air fryer oven like the PowerXL 8 in 1 Air Fryer Oven, you can use this oven-cleaning product for the removal of grease from your air fryer basket.
In my research, I have found this method to be very much EFFECTIVE for cleaning greasy air fryers.
How To Keep An Air Fryer Clean After Degreasing?
Well, now you have got a clear understanding of all the available methods for cleaning grease from your air fryer basket.
So, the next thing you have to become aware of is – “How to keep an air fryer clean after degreasing?”
Well, in this case, the answer is quite easy, because there are several ways in which you can achieve this:
- The first thing to do after degreasing your air fryer basket and the pan will be rinsing all the broken pieces of debris off with water. Make sure that all grease goes down the drain easily without creating clogs or a mess on your sink too.
- After washing off anything for greasy residue from baked potatoes stick, it becomes your priority to give your air fryer several times with water and scrubbing.
- Try not to leave any dirty stains on the basket or pan for greasy odors not infecting your healthy foods that you’ll be consuming every single day of the week!
- Another very important thing, as a rule, is turning off/disconnecting an air fryer after cleaning it or whenever done working area when doing maintenance, just before moving onto next project.
In this case, cleaning an air fryer basket and the pan will be a simple task to complete.
Air Fryer Cleaning Hacks
- Now, here are some tips for keeping an air fryer clean and hygienic after cleaning or when in most cases of needed maintenance.
- Remove any food particles from basket with a fork before washing.
- Rub the pan inside and out gently to help distribute grease off easily whereas removing it by hand will be difficult to remove thoroughly enough.
- Do not overfill your Air Fryer basket as the heating process begins quicker if force flow though it may lead to spilling and greasy stains.
- Stack Baked potatoes in the basket or neatly turn them over into a pan. This step is crucial as the air fryer will not cook fluffy baked potatoes properly if they are thrown on top of a hollow part of the food holder that can be easily stuck with oil from a rusted surface once contact happens.
Voila! – your shiny new Air Fryer cleaner after degreasing her, she looks like a brand new now! and your secret to healthy living is safe again.
You can also check out this detailed post in order to get a clear understanding of air fryer cleaning hacks.
Note: You can purchase some best air fryer cleaning brushes/spray cleaners on the internet if needed as general supplies will not be enough for this task, however you don’t need to have much cleanliness problems with a good understanding of first-time operations, getting a new appliance repaired or maintaining it at all!
Searching For An Easy To Clean Air Fryer?
You can easily clean the air fryer alongwith baked on grease by using the following recommended best rated air fryer cleaners.
Easy Off Specialty Kitchen Degreaser Cleaner
- Removes tough stains in seconds
- Formulated to penetrate tough grease and clean very quickly
- Powerful and versatile
- Safe for cleaning
- Easy to use
KH-7 Heavy Duty Degreaser
- Simply wipe off even the toughest, most encrusted grease, dirt and grime
- Made from a powerful concentrated formula
- Fantastic multi purpose cleaner
- Very safe for cleaning
- A must have household supplies
Goo Gone Kitchen Degreaser
- Applicable for kitchen grease, grime and baked-on food
- Breaks down the toughest gunk and grime, and keep kitchen spotless
- Having fast-working formula
- Very safe for using
- One step cleaner
FAQs About How Do You Clean Baked On Grease From An Air Fryer Basket
Can you use oven cleaner on air fryer?
Yes, you can use an all-purpose cleaner with high pressure to remove baked on grease. Use a light hand and only refill the cavity when there is no more white residue left behind after 30 seconds of scrubbing.
Can I clean air fryer without detergent?
Yes, with little soapy water & dish soap it will be cleaned easily. This time please do not forget to dry your Air Fryer rack gently with a paper towel after cleaning.
How to clean an air fryer oven?
To clean an air fryer oven there are a few steps to follow. First, turn off the unit and unplug it. Then remove any lids or trays that fit in your cooker so you can completely dry them on low heat (without turning the oven on) before washing with soap and water.
Preheat High-Temperature Gas Air Fryer at 350°F/176°CPressurize Room by transferring all over pots and pans into your High-Temperature Steam Cleaner & Dryer Pressurize once more removing all the items from your air fryer.
There you go, a clean slate!
For an in-depth idea about this subject matter, you can check out this detailed discussion on how do you clean an air fryer oven.
How to clean air fryer tray?
To clean an air fryer tray, you just need to simply turn it inside out and wipe it. If you do not want the cleaning solution to affect the outcome of your rice or sauce, repeat the process while using paper towels with hot water instead of dish soap.
How to deep clean air fryer basket?
You could wipe with a sponge soaked in soapy water or use an all-purpose kitchen cleaner that can be found at most local supermarkets.
You can also check out this detailed discussion on how do you deep clean an air fryer to have a complete understanding of this subject matter.
Can you clean the nonstick surface of the air fryer?
Yes, but if you do not have the patience to wait for your Air Fryer to cool down between uses, then using the warm tap water feature offered on each model is easier and quicker.
So, now you have come to know how important it is to clean grease from your air fryer basket.
In the above discussion, I have tried to share a step-by-step guide on how to clean baked on grease from air fryer basket.
Besides, I have also shared my recommendations for the Top 3 Easy To Clean Air Fryers so you can easily choose the right one for your kitchen.
Still, if you have any questions, do let me know in the comment section below.
This is all I wanted to share with you this time!
See You Soon!